i just read this article on askmen.com -- please don't ask me why. just know that the hubs sparked this convo. yes, he wears v-neck shirts and looks gooood in his skinny jeans. i make him wear them, mostly but i'm pretty sure he likes it too.
so, the article started out like this...
..."the kids are trying hard to out-bizarre each other with calculator watches, sweet bikes, no-style hair everywhere, look-how-untrendy-I-can-dress parties, and gender-snapping poser-dom."
now you know this is gonna be good. if you are major hipster.... stop reading.
(you should read this picture - the evolution of the hipster, ha!)
so, let's dive into the article, shall we?
I'll give you just the best high lights...
Hipster Trends We Hate: Grooming
Greasy Hair

Greasy hair serves merely to make a mockery of the battle for sanitation that men have faced for much of their existence and only relatively recently conquered. In other words, if you can afford shampoo you should use it.
For a tousled hairstyle without the grease, ask your barber for one of 2010's men’s hairstyles that's longer in the front and shorter on the back and sides. Then, make a part and sweep all your hair irreverently to one side. Much better.
Handlebar Moustaches
After all, to the fairer sex, a thick moustache is the equivalent of having a bad pickup line on your face, so, consider sporting these styles only when you’ve decided to embark on one of your celibacy chapters.
Hipster Trends We Hate: Apparel
Ironic T-Shirts And Sweaters
How to be ironic? For starters, not through your apparel. This category consists of T-shirts, sweatshirts and sweaters featuring pictures of deer, wolves or indeed any animal imagery,sports team logos from decades past,Sesame Street characters, The Great Gatsby prints, or quirky appliqued prints like Christmas trees.Skinny Jeans
Essentially, they are the male equivalent of a corset, but much, much worse, because while a corset plays up a woman's natural curviness and looks sexy, your girlfriend’s jeans merely constrict your body and do absolutely nothing to enhance the male physique. On a man, skinny jeans are just wrong, so just say no to wearing them. Hipster Trends We Hate: Accessories
Nonprescription Eyeglasses
Chunky, oversize eyeglasses from another era, or made to look as though they were from another era, are hardly a universally flattering accessory to wear on your face; yet, every hipster owns at least one pair. What's more horrifying, however, is that many of these individuals don't actually need prescription eyewear. Childhood Accessories
There's nothing more depressing than seeing a 30-year-old man toting aTransformers lunch box around or adorning himself with pins his little sister would be embarrassed to wear.


4 comments:
I have had people tell say that I am "hipster" or "indie" but i dont think so. But by definition I would be because I love handmade, crafts, alternative/indie music, wear big glasses, love big chunky crazy jewelry, am an artist and photographer. I would rather shop at Urban Outfitters than any other store.
I can see how "hipsters" appear to be silly. But people who are true hipsters don't even call themselves hipsters, only wannabe ones do. I don't think the person writing this article knows a single "hipster" because if he did he would GET it. People who are "hipsters" or "indie"...that is just who they are...creative, unique and love quirky things. I know my fair share of "hipster/indie" friends and every one of them is either an amazing photographer, musician or artist of some kind. They/we are a different breed. That's all. People who don't "care" what to wear, but at the same time have their own unique style or love a cool outfit. Beards, big glasses, skinny jeans are just things that happen to be a part of the type of person who is "hipster". I have a big pair of fake glasses and I love them...I have been wearing fake glasses and real glasses since high school. I have been wearing whatever I want since highschool and i think "hipsters" just know what they like and that is almost always...art, vintage, music, style, retro, handmade and funky hair. its just as much a type of person as someone who ALWAYS wears abrocrombie or someone who dresses like a white trash hick. it's who they are. it says something about them. And i can guarantee that someone who is a "hipster" is most likely the coolest person you will meet and will have a vast knowledge of what i said above...art, music, vintage, style and handmade. But like I said, a true hipster doesn't "try" to be hipster...they just are. And people that are wannabes are just figuring it out that its great fun to dress in skinny jeans, wear a "retro" shirt with a book title or wolf on it and wear indian mocossins. I rather like dressing like I am about to go camping. When I wear my big framed glasses...i feel more like me than ever! And once I bought this 80's bird sweatshirt and loved it! totally wore it..however now its in a box. But it was just funky and I love funky.
I just thought you needed another perspective, because I think that magazine article is pretty naive. And i don't think "hipsters" try to out bizarre each other....at least on purpose...a person who is "hipster' likes the unusual and funky therefore they/we are going to pick the crazy artsy watch or crazy sweater instead of a boring sweater. Its just part of our passion for the unique.
{dont think im hating, just thought you would be open to seeing it from another view point}
haha monica i hope you aren't offended by this post. this post was more of a joke than anything. my blog is never serious and is always light hearted. i've even made fun of the top ten things black people like vs. top ten things white people like - and my best friend is black. it's just my humor. and i have LOTS of "hipster" friends. poking at them and teasing them is part of the game of friendship. devin's best friend is as hipster as it gets and yes, he dresses "weird" and knows music up the wah-zoo like fleet foxes and mgmt and band of horses and so on... yes, "they" may be a different breed but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing to not be "hipster" or think that wearing bright pink spandex on someone and riding fixed gear bikes isn't funny. i for one have even told you i think you are a BOMB photographer. done and done. anyone knows that. and - you are one of the most stylish people i know. no joke- i LOVE how you dress. this was definitely NOT to offend anyone. i'm sorry if you took this the wrong way but i'm also entitled to laugh at what i think is funny and i thought this article was.
OH, i for sure wasn't offended and didn't think you were being "mean" ...it just seemed like one of those things where there is more than one side...that's it. I totally know you are a jokester...i read your blog...i just didn't get that you were "joking" about this. But now I do. I am one of those people that can't not voice my opinion, so I did. it just seemed, of course i assumed, like it was one of those comments that people say but actually have no actual knowledge of...BUT i am happy to see i was wrong and it was a tease. And i for sure dont think its bad not to be hipster. like i said, its just how people{some people} are.
it just drives me nuts when people don't know about something and then they form a bad opinion of it before actually knowing someone like that or learning from all or more sides or more facts. but, im glad we cleared that up!
hilarious. Loved this post.
Post a Comment